A person’s quality of life is highly improved when they have safe and affordable housing. This is a key determinant of an individual’s overall health.
Whether a person requires a place to call home or requires financial assistance to remain in their current rental accommodation, we have programs that may suit your needs.
These are RGI units dispersed within the Algoma District owned and operated by community based organizations. Communities with Non-Profit units are: White River, Wawa, Richard’s Landing, Thessalon, Blind River and Elliot Lake.
Affordable Housing Program
Within the Algoma District there are 10 apartments in Echo Bay, 10 apartments in Dubreuilville, 10 semi-detached homes in Elliot Lake, 10 Apartments in Wawa and 12 apartments in Richard’s Landing which are owned by ADSAB and offer affordable market rents.
ADSAB owns and manages rent-geared-to-income (RGI) units in 10 municipalities within the Algoma District. RGI means that monthly rent is determined by a calculating 30% of the household’s total monthly gross income.
ADSAB has a variety of subsidy programs to subsidize tenants who wish to remain in a unit privately owned by a landlord. Availability of these subsidies are dependent upon funding and eligibility.
Algoma Shelter Assistance Program
The Community Homelessness Prevention Initiative (CHPI) aims to prevent, address and reduce homelessness in the ADSAB jurisdiction. CHPI assists low income individuals and families who are at risk of or experiencing homelessness in obtaining and retaining affordable housing. CHPI may provide financial assistance with the following:
- Emergency shelter solutions
- Utility deposits and hook-up fees when establishing a residence
- Costs for a move to a new residence due to eviction, fire or flood
- Replacement of furniture due to fire, flood or pest infestation
- Energy arrears and disconnection
- Rental arrears and eviction
- Emergency repairs to heating vessels, sanitation repairs and maintenance
- Emergency decluttering and pest/bed bug infestation