Who Can Apply For Housing Services?

IAH Rent Supplement:

This is a top-up program where eligible applicants receive a monthly payment to assist with their rent. Funding is limited.

**NOTE: all housing programs delivered by ADSAB may have a waitlist managed in chronological date order.

Can I choose the size of unit I want?

You can indicate what type of unit you want to live in however, the size of unit (number of bedrooms) that you are offered will be determined by the size and composition of your household, according to the ADSAB Local Occupancy Standards.

To summarize, the ADSAB Local Occupancy Standards states the largest unit a household may be eligible for is as follows:

  • One bedroom for spouses and same-sex partners
  • One bedroom for each additional member of the household, and
  • One additional bedroom under the following specific circumstances:
    • a spouse requires a separate bedroom due to a disability or medical condition
    • a bedroom is required to store medical equipment
    • a bedroom is required to accommodate an individual who provides medical care to a member of the household
    • a member of the household is pregnant
    • a member has joint custody of a child who needs overnight accommodations
Can I choose where I want to live?

Yes. You must indicate your choice of Housing Services Project locations on the application form in order for your application to be considered complete.
You are able to choose more than one location. Your name will be added to the waitlist for each location to which you are eligible.

How do I apply for rent-geared-to-income (RGI) housing?

An application form must be completed to apply for housing. A copy is available online or by contacting the Algoma District Services Administration Board’s (ADSAB) office between the business hours of 8:30 AM and 4:45 PM.

A completed housing application will be accepted in the following methods:

  • by dropping off the completed application with relevant documentation to one of our area offices, or
  • by faxing the completed applications with relevant documentation at 705-842-3747, or
  • by email
How soon will I know if I am on the waitlist?

When your application is received, it will be reviewed to be sure that all required information is included. You will be notified without delay as to whether you are eligible for geared-to-income assistance, or if additional information is needed for your application. If you are eligible, you will be advised of your placement on the waitlists for the locations you selected, and the number of bedrooms your household qualifies for.

What happens if I have changes to my income and other information while I am waiting for Housing?

It is important that you keep your application up to date in order to remain on the waitlist and maintain your eligibility status. You must report any changes to the information you previously submitted within 30 calendar days of the change taking place or your application may be cancelled and your name removed from the waitlist. To report these changes, you may access the Update My Application form on the website or contact the ADSAB office.

Can I refuse to accept a unit?

You can refuse to move into housing offered by ADSAB however, if three reasonable offers are refused, the household’s application will be removed from the waitlist.

Do I still qualify for RGI if I own my own home?

If you own, or have a legal interest in a residential property that can be lived in year-round, you will be required to sell your interest in the property within six months after you have moved into RGI housing.

I will be moving to another town. Do I need to re-apply once I am living there?

No. If you are moving anywhere in Ontario, you should be requesting a File Transfer. Let your Case Worker know when and where you are moving so that the necessary arrangements can be made on your file before you leave.

Once you have relocated to the new town, contact the local Ontario Works office there and they will arrange to have your file electronically transferred from the Algoma District to your new location. The new office will give you further instruction of your obligations with them from that point. Contact your Case Worker before you move if you are uncertain of the file transfer process.

Does the ADSAB provide Emergency Housing?

No, ADSAB does not have nor provide Emergency Housing.

How much rent can I expect to pay?

Rent-geared-to-income is based on 30% of your gross monthly income; or if you are receiving social assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program, a rent scale is used to calculate the household rent.
Additional charges may apply such as but not limited to parking fees, laundry fees and/or air conditioner fees.

How long will it take for me to get a unit?

The length of time before a unit becomes available will vary depending on the locations you select on your application. It may take some time due to the small number of vacancies.

I require a special unit due to a disability. How do I apply for one?

Some housing providers have wheelchair accessible units or units which are equipped with certain features (such as no stairs). If you require a special type of unit due to medical reasons, please ensure you indicate this in the appropriate section of the application form. You will be placed on the Waitlist accordingly for the next available special unit.

I am currently involved in an abusive relationship with the person I live with. How will this affect my application for Housing?

If you or a member of your household is currently in an abusive relationship and need to move due to this abuse, you should apply for Special Priority Status. In order to qualify for Special Priority Status, you must complete a Request for Special Priority  and submit to your nearest ADSAB office.

You are also required to provide written, supporting documentation from a professional to verify your situation. This documentation must state that a member of your household has been:

  • subject to abuse from another individual
  • the abusing individual resides with the abused member
  • the abused member intends to permanently live apart from the abuser.

If you have already separated from the abuser, you must apply for special priority status within three months from the date of separation.

NOTE: Special Priority rent-geared-to-income household member(s) are not required to pursue specified incomes if the pursuit of the income will place the member(s)’s personal safety at risk.

I live in a unit which is privately owned by my landlord. I don't want to move but I am having difficulty paying my rent. Are there any housing programs to help me?

Yes. You may qualify for one of the following:

Direct Shelter/Strong Communities Rent Supplement Programs: This program offers eligible applicants RGI subsidy while living in privately owned buildings. ADSAB pays a shelter subsidy amount directly to the landlord. Funding is limited; therefore, you may be required to wait until funds are available before you are advised of eligibility.

IAH Rent Supplement: This program offers eligible applicants a monthly top-up payment to assist with their rent. Funding is limited; therefore, you may be required to wait until funds are available before you are advised of eligibility

NOTE: It is recommended that you complete a Housing Services Application regardless of funding availability to ensure you are considered for placement on the waitlist. Once funding becomes available, you will be contacted by the ADSAB office.

You are responsible to find suitable accommodations that adhere to ADSAB Local Occupancy Standards. You may also be required to complete and forward a monthly Confirmation of Situation form which will verify rent has been paid and/or any changes to your circumstances.

Footer City Silhouette
Skip to content